Health insurance requirements
All international students who attend Ohio State are required to purchase Ohio State student health insurance. J-1 and J-2 visa holders are required by the U.S. government to have insurance coverage which meets specific requirements (exceptions may be granted for students who are fully financially sponsored under a government sponsor or international organization).
- Students who wish to submit a request for exemption from coverage must complete an online Petition to Waive by the posted deadline. Please read the details at shi.osu.edu under “Selection and Waiver Instructions.”
- The university offers a subsidy of 85 percent of the student health insurance premium to eligible graduate associates (GAs), trainees, and fellows and their dependents. Consult your program for more information.
Helpful health-related information
Many common questions about healthcare can be answered on the Office of International Affairs website. The Health Information section offers information about:
- health insurance and the waiving process
- the required health screening
- helpful tips about medical requirements to be aware of before coming to Ohio State, including what medical records to bring with you