The Master of Science (MS) program offered in the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences (HRS) prepares registered, certified, and/or licensed health professionals and individuals interested in entering research fields addressing human health and healthcare issues for expanded roles in research, teaching, administration, and professional practice. Areas of interest for students include education and leadership in health and rehabilitation fields, health informatics, assistive technology, and research-centered pathways in diverse areas of scientific inquiry related to health.
Students of the HRS MS program have two focus areas to choose from:
- Research – The Research focus includes a curriculum abundant with research methods and design courses and a mentored research experience that culminates with a thesis under the guidance of an HRS faculty mentor. Students who pursue this focus will gain knowledge and skills toward becoming a successful researcher in their field and are extensively prepared for careers in industry, pre-clinical, and clinical research. For students interested in pursuing a Ph.D., the Research focus provides opportunities, mentorship, and training to become a competitive applicant.
- Advanced Practice – The Advanced Practice focus allows students who are interested in tailoring their education toward management, leadership, or teaching to design their additional core course options as well as personalize their electives to suit their interests. Students will be mentored by an HRS faculty member to design their curriculum to fit their educational needs to further their professional practice in their current field or explore new areas of interest. This focus will culminate with a mentored comprehensive project.
Both focus options allow students to apply elective credit hours toward one of HRS’s online graduate certificates.
Graduate concentration areas of emphasis include:
- Assistive and Rehabilitative Technology
- Injury Biomechanics
- Medical Coding and Health Care Data Analytics in Practice
- Usability and User Experience in Health Care