Specialized Master in Business – Business Analytics Specialized Master in Business – Business Analytics – Online

About us

The Specialized Master in Business Analytics (SMB-A) program at Ohio State's Fisher College of Business is designed to develop next-generation managers capable of leveraging practical approaches to analysis, informed decision-making and systems thinking.  Our graduate program equips students with real-world knowledge of how applied statistics, applications in machine learning and data visualization tactics can be used to inform advances in productivity, market position, and business innovation.

The flexible online format consists of core course work, electives and an integrated analytics management capstone experience.  Options allow professionals to acquire graduate-level knowledge and credentials in business analytics in as little as 10 months, or at a slower part-time pace.

With no work experience requirements, the SMB-A program is open to everyone. If you are already working with business data, this is your chance to accelerate your career trajectory. If you are eager to shift into the growing field of management analytics, here is your opportunity. Whatever the case, the time for your next level of mastery is now.

SMB-A Program and Admissions Overview Webinars

We offer ~monthly program and admissions webinars, including some pre-recorded content. These are a fantastic way to learn about the program, get application tips, and introduce yourself to our admissions team—view dates for upcoming webinars and recordings.

Program Structure (31.5 total credit hours):

The SMB-A program uses a blended course delivery format, where students participate in 75 percent online asynchronous instruction, with the remaining 25 percent delivered via Saturday in-person classes or live-streaming. Live streaming means students in the SMB-A program can complete their degree 100% online from anywhere. Saturday classes involve in-depth discussion, live demonstrations, explorations of subjects, and hands-on individual and group exercises. Saturday classes meet 3 times during a term, four in summer, and are delivered as 3.5-hour blocks.

The full-time or part-time curriculum is comprised of 31.5 semester credit hours of coursework, distributed as follows:

  • 10.5 credit hours for business foundation course work, consisting of four courses: Managerial Economics, Accounting and Financial Analysis, Statistics and Data Analysis, and Leadership and Organizational Behavior.
  • 12 credit hours of course work in Data Management, and Descriptive, Predictive, and Prescriptive Analytics.
  • 3 credit hours for an Analytics Management Capstone using real data from a corporate partner.
  • 6 credit hours of analytics-focused or discipline-specific electives

Full-Time Curriculum:


Term one (7 weeks)

  • Statistics and Data Analysis - BUSMGT 6400 (3 credits) 
  • Accounting and Finance for Analytics - BUSFIN 6230 (3 credits) 

Term two (7 weeks)

  • Data Management for Analytics - BUSMGT 7250 (3 credits)
  • Managerial Economics - BUSML 6243 (3 credits)


Term one (7 weeks)

  • Descriptive Analytics and Visualization - BUSMGT 7331 (3 credits) 
  • Predictive Analytics - BUSMGT 7332 (3 credits) 

Term two (7 weeks)

  • Prescriptive Analytics - BUSML 7243 (3 credits)
  • Elective (3 credit hours)


Term one (8 weeks)

  • Leadership - BUSMHR 7270 (1.5 credits) 
  • Elective (3 credit hours)
  • Analytics Management Capstone - BUSML 7249 (3 credit hours)

Part-Time Curriculum:

The part-time curriculum consists of the same classes, however, they are spread over a two-year period. This option is a great choice for busy working professionals looking to balance work, life and education. However, the full-time option is open to working and non-working students looking to complete the program in 10 months. You can explore additional curriculum details here.

Get Started:

The SMB-A program has an autumn enrollment. View SMB-A application requirements and start your application here.

Applicants are encouraged to visit the University’s Online Programs State Authorization webpage or email us at FCOB-smb-a@osu.edu to find out whether their program of interest is available in their home state. Please check back often, as the College and University are aggressively pursuing authorization in all 50 states.