This online graduate certificate program has been created for teachers seeking to improve their pedagogical content knowledge to support their teaching of College Credit Plus (CCP) courses. This program consists of four graduate courses, totaling 18 graduate credit hours, that are entirely online, asynchronous and scheduled throughout the year in half or full semester offerings.
The curricula examine content found in General Chemistry courses, but at a much deeper level. All program classes are flexible, interactive and supportive; but also demanding. Students will be able to choose from diverse resources to support their learning and will share ideas with classmates and the instructor. Participants will succeed in these courses, but it is important to realize they require a high level of commitment and dedication.
Like other learning environments, motivation and purpose for taking a course are important factors that influence their experiences in the course. Participants eager to improve their own instruction will find resources to use with their students, deepen their content knowledge and find this program especially rewarding.
- Courses are entirely online and available every semester in half or full-semester versions. They should be taken in order but there is not a requirement to enroll in courses every semester. Enrolling in Summer terms is encouraged for professionals.
- Courses are asynchronous, self-paced and highly interactive with many opportunities to share ideas.
- Focus is on deepening the pedagogical content knowledge of teachers for use in their own courses.
- Resources from an undergraduate General Chemistry course will be shared and can be adapted for use elsewhere.
- Supportive environment that builds on the prior knowledge and experiences of the participants.
- Highly flexible structure with many resources gathered from chemical education and STEM education research, chemistry research, historical readings, upper-level textbooks, the research of OSU faculty, etc. The participant chooses their own path among provided resources to complete course modules, prepare lesson plans and write reflection papers.
College Credit Plus
Ohio State academic programs are designed to prepare students to apply for applicable licensure or certification in Ohio. If you plan to pursue licensure or certification in a state other than Ohio, please review state educational requirements for licensure and certification and state licensing board contact information at go.osu.edu/disclosures